|Division I: Horticulture (For exhibiting Lily Stems)
1. Only TRUE Lilies may be entered.
2. All Lilies exhibited in competition must have been grown outdoors without protection and
under the personal supervision of the exhibitor.
3. Exhibitors may enter more than one entry in a class, provided that each entry is different,
except in those classes consisting of only one cultivar. Entries in dual names are permitted but
no duplicate entries from the same garden.
4. Entries with major abnormalities will be set aside and not judged.
5. Anthers may be removed, but it is preferable to leave them on. Where competing stems are
otherwise equal in quality, removal of anthers would require some penalty in scoring.
Exception: Hybridizers will not be penalized for removing pollen
|LILY SHOW RULES
| 2019 Iowa Regional Lily Show
at the Reiman Gardens in Ames, Iowa on Saturday June 29, 2019
Any Lily grower may enter stems in the show. If a person who is not a member of IRLS wins a major award, a one-year
membership and five Lily bulbs will be awarded instead of the Perpetual Award.
Each exhibitor is responsible for placing his or her entries in a separate container, attach a completed entry tag and
place the entry on the classification table. The Classification Committee will assist exhibitors, if needed, in naming
their Lilies and determining the section in which they should be entered.
The Classification Chairman has the right to reassign entries that have been incorrectly entered. The Classification
Committee will place all valid exhibits on the show tables.
Entries are the property of the exhibitor. Anthers and pollen may be removed only by the exhibitor or with his or her
At the close of the show the Lily stems may be sold to help cover expenses. If the exhibitor does not want his or her
exhibit sold, he/she may remove them on Saturday when the Lily Show closes. All entries are to stay in place until that
The decisions of the Show Committee will be final if there should be any disagreement about interpretation of these
show rules, or any other matter not covered by them.
|Division II: Artistic Designs
1. Design must be in place the morning of the Show by 10:00 am.
2. Space for exhibits, in all classes, may not exceed 24 inches in width or depth.
3. Exhibitors may make only one entry in a class.
4. A Lily or Lilies must be in all exhibits.
5. Designers choice of other plant material (fresh or dried) may be used in the design.
Accessories may be used.
6. No Artificial flowers or foliage may be used.
7. No Iowa Conservation material (Noxious weeds) may be used.
8. Judging will be by the Standard System. Judges decisions are final. The Handbook for Flower
Shows, 1997 Edition, Revision 2007 will be reference for judging designs.
The property of the exhibitor should be inconspicuously marked with the owners name and
address. All reasonable care will be taken, but the Show Committee will not be responsible for
loss or breakage.
|1. The official North American Lily Society scale of points will be used to evaluate exhibits in
competitive horticulture classes.
2. One 1st, one 2nd, one 3rd, and one (or more) Honorable Mention ribbons may be awarded in
each class where merited. Only exhibits receiving Blue Ribbons will be eligible for special
awards. The “Best in Show” and “Best in Show Runner-up” awards must score 90 points by the
Official NALS Scale. They may be part of a multiple exhibit (section F) scoring 90 points.
3. Only Accredited Judges are to select the “Best in Show” and “Best in Show Runner-up”
awards. But all those judging the show may be present during this selection.
4. In judging Section F (three stems of a clone, strain or species), each individual stem must
score 90 or more points for the collection to win First Place.
5. Judges may not judge sections in which they have exhibits.
6. Any exhibit of unusual merit, not provided for in the schedule, may be given a special
commendation if the judges so desire.
7. A decision by the judges is final and may be changed only if all judges concerned are present.
(preferably before the show opens)
A novice is a person who has never won a blue ribbon at a show.
IRLS Members and non-Members are Welcome!
| LOVELY LILY PHOTO AWARD
1. Limit of two (2) photographs per class, per exhibitor
2. Photos must have been taken by the exhibitor.
3. All photos must prominently feature ‘true’ lilies (genus lilium).
4. Photos can not have been entered in a previous IRLS Photography class.
5. Judging will be by ballots cast by Lily Show visitors.
6. All photos must be 8”x 10” or 8 1/2” x 11” and must be mounted on 1/8” to 1/4” thick
cardboard, poster board, or foam board the same size as the photo. IRLS will provide holders.
7. All photos must contain the following printed information:
Name, address, phone number and name of lily if known.
8. Photos need to be picked up at the end of the show.
|Pink Ocelot Martagon
|Iowa Regional Lily Society (IRLS)
Growing Lilies in Iowa and neighboring states since 1973